How To Use This Database
How to search for key words or phrases
- Use the main search box to search for words or phrases in the documents.
- When entering more than one word, the database will display all of the documents that include any of the words entered: eg. progressive taxation
- To search for only the documents that contain an “exact phrase”, place quotation marks around the phrase: “progressive taxation”
- To search for only the documents that contain all of the words in a phrase, place an AND (all-caps) between the words: eg. taxation AND health
- To exclude documents that contain a certain word, place a NOT before the word: eg. taxation NOT debt
- You can combine these search features into a more refined search: eg. “progressive taxation” AND health NOT debt
How to apply filters to your search
- Choose a broad category from the options in the menu bar: Judicial Documents, UN Documents, or Articles and Commentary.
- Customize your search by selecting or deselecting document types in the filter panel on the top right.
- Add additional filters to your search by using the filter panel on the right (scroll down to view all of the filter options).
- Toggle filters between AND and OR, to narrow or widen your search to include all of the words, or any of the words.
- Click the Reset icon at the bottom of the filter panel to remove all filters.
How to search within documents
- Click on a document to view the document panel on the right. Click on the "x" on the top right of the document panel to return to the filter panel.
- Choose the Info tab of the document panel to view metadata for each document and to download documents.
- Choose the Search tab of the document panel to search within the document. The search results will appear in order of relevance.
- Click on the page number next to the search result to view its occurrence in the document (Note: we recommend that you open the document in a new tab to preserve your previous database search.)
- You can also click on View at the bottom right of the document card to view the document. (Note: we recommend that you open the document in a new tab to preserve your previous database search.)
- When viewing a document, click on the "x" at the top right to hide the document panel, and click on the information icon on the bottom right to bring it back.
How to save your searches
- Each search you make produces a unique URL.
- To save specific search results, we recommend that you copy and paste the URLs into an external document for later reference.